[TowerTalk] Re: Coax Disconnection AND A BIGGER ISSUE

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 9 02:20:12 EDT 2003

The University of Florida does studies on lightning...  I saw a great
program on this on Discovery channel (I think)

They send up small model rockets with "hair-sized" wires trailing behind
them....this thinnest of conductors produces an attractive discharge
path to the lightning. It does not take much to convince the lightning
to follow that route... if it is time for a cloud to discharge and it is
in your general area...think what an attractive sight a big "fat" tower
section is... and some nice fat coaxial cable... comparing this to that
fine threadlike wire this is like comparing a 1/4" water line to your
ice maker to a concrete storm drainage conduit!

Its coming, trust me... and its big... keep it away from your gear any
way you can... offering it a path that does not go near your gear as
things head towards ground is a much MUCH better option!

HAVE ALL OF YOU FILED YOU COMMENTS WITH THE FCC ABOUT THE BPL ISSUE?

If you are unsure about this topic and want some more background go the
ARRL site at:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/08/2/?nc=1

then:

Let the FCC know by flooding their electronic in-box on this matter just
how bad an idea this is.  It is easy to do - here is how to you can
stand up and be counted:

We are in the 21st century - use your computer browser to surf on into
the FCC site where you will find an opportunity to participate by making
an entry on the EFCS - Electronic Filing Comment System - in moments you
can be composing a note to the FCC that tells them what a bad idea BPL
is!  Click on:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/ecfs/

Your on the FCC page, now - in the Upper RH portion of the page you will
see a button labeled

Submit A Filing  (click on it)

This will take you to:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

Where you submit your comment on the matter...

The first box is the only difficult one to fill in - the number you need
for this is:

03-104

The balance of the form is easy to fill out, you will be asked easy
stuff like your name, etc... and then, most important type in your

COMMENT

PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING THIS WEEKEND, take a few minutes to go to the
FCC site, lets act as a group on this and show the FCC that we care and
will not be QRMed out of existence.

Do this or you will not have to worry about needing a grounded station,
the point will be moot!

PLEASE REPOST THIS MESSAGE FOR YOUR LOCAL HAM CLUBS MEMBERSHIP!

73, thanks...

Jim White, K4OJ