[TowerTalk] Re: Antenna element vibration damping - How

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sat Aug 9 12:58:02 EDT 2003

> Also with rivets it makes it difficult to dismantle
> elements if you ever need to.
>
> 73 gl Jim SM2EKM

I've got to disagree with you, Jim.

I took apart a Force 12 C4 a year or so ago.

It was a no-brainer reducing the element lengths to where they and the boom
pieces would fit in the back of my Saturn SC2 (coupe) for the 50 mile drive
home.

I used a drill to drill out the rivets.  It all went very quickly and
easily.

Most of the rivets dropped right out of their holes into the element.  A few
had to be followed up with a light tap of a center punch.  I selected a
drill bit such that the hole would not be enlarged.  They weren't.

You can have and keep using your hose clamps.

Gimme rivets any day!

73,
dale, kg5u