[TowerTalk] Ham Radio and NE Power Failure

Chuck Counselman ccc at space.mit.edu
Wed Aug 20 15:05:18 EDT 2003

At 9:11 AM -0700 8/20/03, Michael Hatzakis, Jr wrote:
>Just a quick thanks to all of you that replied to my request for
>articles re: the NE power failure....

Every week I check into a vintage military radio net in which most
stations are transmitting about 10 W.  In the last session of this
net, propagation was very poor, QRN from thunderstorms was high, and
one of the stations was 5000 km away in England, so I used a power
amp and was transmitting 1 kW.  The other stations, of whom all but
one were located in the blacked-out area, noting that my signal was
20 dB stronger than usual, blamed me for the NE Power Failure.

-Chuck, W1HIS