[TowerTalk] Telephone pole tower

RICHARD BOYD ke3q at msn.com
Sat Aug 23 09:54:05 EDT 2003

Yes, this is very common, particularly was common a generation ago.  Telrex sold "telephone pole mounts" at $175 apiece.  I actually bought three which are still around here, all rusty, etc.  They're made of steel angle welded into an L with brace -- a triangle, total -- then "all thread" rod that goes through the pole with washers and nuts on each end to secure the bracket to the pole.  Then, flat steel plates for the rotator and bearing.  So, two sets of these on the pole, four angle assemblies total for each pole.

In many areas, like ours, you can get to know the telephone pole contractors or employees and for a six pack or $100, whichever you can negotiate, they will deliver you old poles and install them for you on a Saturday.  You may have noticed, old but still serviceable poles are often removed and newer, generally taller, ones are put up.  There is a steady stream of old poles that the phone company is disposing of.  They are also used for bridges across small streams, pole barns, etc.

73 - Rich, KE3Q