[TowerTalk] Lightning Recovery

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Aug 30 09:08:19 EDT 2003

I'm now planning repairs to my tower that was struck by lightning last
week.  Discrete items (like rotators and relay boxes) aside, should I plan
on replacing all the coax and control cables that run up the tower, or can
I reasonably take a more selective approach?  I'm guessing that once the
hardware is disconnected, I'll be able to tell with an ohmmeter if there
are any open circuits or gross short circuits between conductors, but
subtler damage to coax may be a different matter.  I'm thinking of using my
MFJ-259B to look for faults and excessive loss.  Anything else I should do?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated August 4.
123 stations were added or updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm