[TowerTalk] pinning masts/rotor clamps--yaesu

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 02:14:41 EDT 2003

Guys....

Unless you can do the analysis and be sure, it never
pays to second guess design engineers.  Usually, you
don't have the data to support a superior decision.

Yaesu very clearly uses aluminum in its rotor housings
and mast brackets.  They plan to pin the mast.  They
have sufficient gearing and motor to handle the rated load.

*  Don't load them more than rated.

*  Follow manufacturer directions.

My G1000dx worked fine....even turning a 100'
military tower with it... and I didn't break anything!

What I DID do was provide a sacrificial aluminum torque
tube between the rotor and the rotating turntable in the
base of the tower.  So what wore was the thinwall torque
tube.

Jim, N2EA