[TowerTalk] 160M inverted L

Jerry Connelly jerryc at clinchrivercorp.com
Mon Dec 1 08:13:58 EST 2003

Hello all
I'm trying to get something up for 160m.  I've been using my 80m loop
and a tuner but its real hard to tune and not very effecient.  Maby when
I get my balanced tuner project done that won't be a problem but for
now it is.  Thinking about a 160m inverted L but space is still a problem.
I can support the vertical portion with my 40' tower and I have about 80'
from it to a tall wooden pole. Thats too short and too close but thats all I
have to work with.  I try to avoid loaded antennas because of effeciency
but what if I added a helical loaded section near the end of the horizontal
leg (opposite end from the vertical segment)??
I would end up with a 38' vertical section,  a 70' horizontal section and
about a 5' section of helical loaded wire.  That gives me about 5' for rope
on the pole end.
Any thouights on this or should I go back to a low dipole or some commercial
vertical and live with it???
Thanks
JerryC
KC8TES