[TowerTalk] Baluns and Ununs

Red RedHaines at centurytel.net
Mon Dec 1 11:52:38 EST 2003

Hi, Jerry and TTs;

The bandwidths, efficiencies, and impedance levels of BALUNs vary
widely.  You must know what you are doing in choosing one for a
particular application.  The wrong balun may not provide the match you
expected, it may not cover the bands you expected, it may be
inefficient; it may go up in smoke.  BALUNs offered commercially or
built according to many articles are not all suited for all applications.

One good source of information is, "Understanding, Building, and Using
Baluns and Ununs" by Jerry Sevick, W2FMI.  I have an edition copywrited
in 2003 by CQ Communications, Inc.  The author holds a Ph.D in applied
physics from Harvard University and worked  for AT&T Bell Labs.  He has
long experience with ham radio and has written several articles and
books.  This book offers some explanation of what baluns and ununs do
and how to build them.  A 4:1 baluns for matching 50 ohm coax to a 12.5
ohm tribander is quite easy and inexpensive to build.  I think this is
what the KT-34A requires; the book offers many other designs, one of
which should fill the bill.

73 de WOØW