[TowerTalk] Cheap Winch

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Wed Dec 10 06:56:38 EST 2003

At 06:48 AM 12/10/2003, you wrote:

>Does this winch free spool at all?  Or, as it looks, it is positively
>engaged at all times?

That is the beauty of worm drives -- they don't free spool.  Some
applications may want a winch that free spools--but not me when
I am raising and lowering towers!

With the type of winches that use a ratchet lock (pawl) I have seen
things get out of hand (literally) and whack the operator hard enough to
break bones.  Not to mention the sudden acceleration of the tower
and then the even more sudden deceleration.

--John