[TowerTalk] Forced decision

Dave Kaiser kaiserdr at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 00:20:35 EST 2003

I've been planning to put up a Rohn 55 for several years, with a Force Mag 340/620. At slightly over 100 pounds, the MAG 340/620 seemed like the ideal antenna -- but, Force tells me they are no longer making it -- they recommended an 'N' model, which weighs in at around 180 pounds!

I would appreciate comments, either on or off list, about which antenna is the best, including other alternatives, like M2. I am also looking for someone in my area, Crystal River, Fla., to put up the Rohn and beam. I am retiring in 2004 and want to get up my 'dream' antenna farm before the cash flow dries up!

I want to put up monobanders, or a combo antenna that will excel on 40 meters and 20 meters. My backup antenna, on a separate tower, is a HyGain TH11-DXX, now over 20 years old.

What about the Force EF-420/240? That looks like a good alternative, but how much would I be losing from putting up two monobanders, like a Mag 340 and a Mag 620?

If anyone has it, I would appreciate the email address of Tom at Force. The people at info at force12.com haven't been much help and are very slow to answer.

Dave Kaiser, AL7HG
kaiserdr at yahoo.com

For information about my credentials and services go to www.floridapublishing.com.