[TowerTalk] stranded copperweld wire - reports please

Robert Shohet kq2m at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 20 15:48:04 EST 2003

HI Con,

Yes,  a PE jacket will help with the stranded NOT rusting but only up to a
point.

Over a period of a few years, the PE jacket become less "fresh" and more
brittle.  The jacket eventually develops microbreaks from the action of the
sun, weather, any tree or other abrasion, flexing in the wind, etc.

Water gets in through these microbreaks and begins the rusting process long
before you can see it.  With microbreaks as opposed to actual cuts, you
can't even know that the wire is rusting inside until one day it just
breaks.  The PE jacket cuts down on the rain static and slows the eventual
resulting process but that is all it does.  There is no cure for the
problems of time, weather and abrasion.

As someone who once had ALL wire antennas from beverages to wire yagis and 4
squares, the PE jacket is nice but it is still high maintenance!

Solid wire is harder to work with and it stretches more but for certain
applications it definitely is the way to go.  For other applications I still
prefer stranded even though it is a nuisance to diagnose and replace.
BTW, there is a LOT of water that wicks up and down through the microbreaks
so one TINY little hole in the PE jacket and you can get a fully rusted 3'
length of stranded wire that can break anywhere!

73
Bob KQ2M