[TowerTalk] New? Cable

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 21 20:57:52 EST 2003

I agree with Joe here... I don't mean to impugn Jefatech.. just their
webpage (the single page linked..by the way) seems to imply that they are
selling LMR400, but not quite..

And, practically speaking, hams (including myself) are cheap.. we tend to
buy things of marginal provenance, mostly because we're able to deal with
the untoward failures from marginal stuff, and, after all, it IS a hobby.

However, if all we buy is the cheapest product, without concern for real
quality, authenticity, etc., then we are contributing to the demise of the
great middle ground.  Most hams aren't commercial operators, nor do they
have the budgets of commercial operators. We're willing to take the risk of
marginal performance, improvise, etc., in exchange for a lower price. For
instance, we are uniquely able to buy non-type-certified radio hardware for
our needs.  That lack of type-certification actually saves a bunch o'bucks
for us.

Likewise, think of all the hams who have invested their own time and money
to provide a useful widget or another, and then had it knocked off and have
given up making it, out of frustration, because they can't even get their
costs back.

We're in a weird position.. ham volume isn't enough to run a real big
business on.  We exist by sufferance for a lot of manufacturers. Let's not
screw it up by always seeking the lowest price, regardless, without a
thought for the value of the intellectual property involved.

All I ask is that when you are buying, think first... I personally believe
that a vendor who deals straight and is honest, should be supported, even if
I have to pay more. I will not patronize a vendor that is solely price
sensitive, etc. (and I especially do NOT want to imply that Jefetech might
be in this category.)