[TowerTalk] Rotor replacement

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 27 18:47:21 EST 2003

the recovering W2UP wrote:

> 2.  Carrying a T2X in a backpack up and down the tower is very
> tiring

If you revers the top u-bolt on a T2X or Ham-X so that the curved part
of the u-bolt is in the mast area and then put the nuts on it you have a
great place to attach a beener to - as a matter of fact this can be
latched onto your climbing belt... this is also nice when you get
topside as you can snap the beener on a tower rung...

Climbing around sidemounted antennas an ringrotors is a royal pita fer
sure... if you climb the leg rather than the face at  a ring rotor you
have to move your body away form the tower less as the ring is closest
to the tower where it comes near the legs...

Some guys will climb the entire tower on the leg as opposed to the face,
I never got used to that though and preferred the ladder like climb up
the face.

-BANDCHANGE-

One of my Ham-X rotors has decided it is not bi-directional any more and
is only turning CCW... this occurred when it was mid rotation, nowhere
near a limit switch...  I will be checking voltages etc. but has anyone
ever run into this sudden "rotor fart"?  Thoughts - thanks!

73,

Jim, K4OJ