[TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Switches

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Wed Feb 5 07:48:21 EST 2003

Hi Mark,

Nobody told me anything, I make my own measurements on relays and switches
using a network analyzer.

My comments about poor performance specifically related to VHF-UHF, not HF.
I use a c. 1935 copper bladed knife switch to switch 450 Ohm ladder line and
it has zero loss at HF -- also a perfect impedance match, since the blade
spacing is exactly right to make a 450 Ohm balanced line with an air
dielectric.

Most homebrew/relay switches start going to pot at about two meters (144
MHz) and really start to stink at 70cm (432 MHz).

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill