[Towertalk] Side-Mount on Trylon T400-80?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:16:22 EST

In a message dated 1/4/03 10:23:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net writes:

>      Trylon's commercial web page lists such side-mounts:
>  http://www.trylon.com/lightdutytowers/selfsupporttwrs_accessories.asp#side
.

    Well, yes and no. This illustrates a sidemount that is mounted on the
face of the tower. It's okay for a fixed sidemounted yagi but I think Rich's
question had to do with being able to rotate them.

    In order to rotate them, the sidemount needs to be installed so the
sidemount/antenna is on the leg - not the face. Here's a drawing that
illustrates the basic parameters - <A
HREF="http://www.reprise.com/antronics/sidemount_clearance.asp">
http://www.reprise.com/antronics/sidemount_clearance.asp</A>. Without knowing
how much clearance is required (since Rich didn't say at what altitude and
thus how much tower face you need to deal with) for where he was going to
install an antenna or how much between-element clearance he'll need to do any
rotating, it's not easy to come up with a conclusive answer. I've heard of a
'stretch' design for the C31XR that adds some needed clearance between
elements but this dimension becomes the crux parameter for any sidemounted
yagi.

    It's easy to fabricate a sidemount and swinging-gate for any tower
including the Trylon Titan - you just need some angle steel or aluminum, some
pipe, and some U-bolts.

    A good way to see what you need is to draw the proposed installation on
some graph paper.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -