[Towertalk] Big Grip or Guy-Grip?

Roger rmurad@superig.com.br
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:40:00 +0000

I contacted PLP branch here in Brazil. The sales representative told me
that "Big Grips" are only available for EHS cable diameters equal or
greater than 1/2". They simply do not produce smaller Big Grips. This can
be confirmed at http://www.preformed.com/comm/pdfs/17_2.pdf

For smaller diameters he said that their product is the "Guy Grip". So, as
my guying cable is 3/16" EHS, 6 X 7, the recommended product is "Guy Grip"
GDE-1102... But this one must not be used for guying towers... (from PLP
web site: "Big-Grip Dead-end is recommended for guying metal towers and
antennas")
http://www.preformed.com/comm/pdfs/17_1.pdf

The tower to be guyed is a 20 meters high tower, with a XM-240 and a A4WS
on top. If I follow the manufacturer guidelines, I'll have to throw away my
brand new 590 feet spool of 3/16" EHS and buy 1/2" EHS (and corresponding
Big Grips)!! Of course, I won't do this, no way. This does not make any
sense. I can't believe that PLP thinks that ALL towers in the world will
use at least 1/2" cable... of course they know about radio amateur stations
and that most use 3/16". There must be an explanation.

To make things even more confuse, Rohn catalog shows Big Grips BG2142 for
3/16" wire rope:
http://www.rohnnet.com/rohnnet2001/catalog/pdfs/Hardware/HA-8.pdf
Perhaps this Big Grip is from another manufacturer, not PLP.

Trying to get correct info on grips is not that easy.

73 Roger - PY1OL