[TowerTalk] Tensioning Rohn 45G guys

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Jul 9 12:46:25 EDT 2003

In a message dated 7/9/03 4:10:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time, k1ir at designet.com
writes:

> The 85 foot 45G tower is up. We used 1/4" guys at three levels. Rohn calls
> for
>  660# tension on upper 1/4" guys, and 400# tension on 3/16" lower guys -
10%
> of
>  breaking strength. I know many of you have used 1/4" guys for all levels.
>  What's the best choice of tension for the lower guys, noting that there
may
> be
>  additional compression forces on the tower?

    Hmm, I'm not sure what the question is. Of course the tension figures you
mentioned are correct. Use the 10% spec for all guys regardless of size or
location. Leg strength is the limiting factor for tower strength but the forces
from 85 feet of 45G are relatively small in the overall scheme of things so
the additional guy tension will have little or no effect on the tower
reliability.

    A LOOS tension gauge makes getting the tensions correct a slamdunk.
Available from  <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.championradio.com</A>.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products