[TowerTalk] SS "U" bolts

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Fri Jul 18 17:34:49 EDT 2003

Galling of stainless steel hardware can be prevented by using anti-seize compound.  Suitable compounds are available at auto supply
stores.

Not sure what you are trying to hold.  If you are trying to keep the boom from rotating, maybe an extra U-bolt will help.  It might
also help to place some material inside the portion of the boom on which the U-bolts bear, so as to keep the boom round while the
U-bolt is compressed.  A wood dowel of appropriate diameter is one approach.  If the boom compresses or deforms over time, the
U-bolt will become loose.

If you are simply trying to tighten things enough so that the nuts don't get loose again, use nylock nuts.

Hope this helps.

-- Eric K3NA