[TowerTalk] SS "U" bolts

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 18 19:25:54 EDT 2003

some excellent suggestions from  the DC ham....

FWIW - I use blocking of the boom to prevent crushing made form "plastic
lumber" - it is currently very in vogue to use this stuff for decks,
etc... it is recycled 2 litter pop bottle with some wood strands mixed
in - very environmentally conscious to use it.

If you have access to a lather this stuff turns like a charm in no time
you can spin it to the right diameter and when the bolts tighten down
that boom wont be "yielding"

I have had good luck drilling a small hole in the center of the piece to
be turned and then put a lag bolt into the mass... drive the lag bolt
all the way into the block.  This will give you a six sided clamp on
point which is great for the three jawed chuck on the lathe... the other
end goes on a pointy rotatable center. For 3: boom you can get the
plastic lumber equivalent of a 4X4 - if you get lucky you can convince
them to cut a ten foot piece back to eight foot and sell you the two
foot which is more than you will need! Remember to repeatedly measure -
once it is too small the next stop is for a smaller boom!

Only down of using boom "plugs" is if you live in a climate where there
is freezing - trapped water can freeze inside the boom and cause
failure!  fortunately here in FL we don't have that problem... although
I recommend a weep hole... did not do that on the first boom I
plugged... after taking the heavy antenna down I heard the water inside
the boom - drilled the weep and it "peed" for 10 minutes!

GL

Jim, K4OJ