[TowerTalk] QST article on how to put up a tower

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 17:54:43 EDT 2003

...IF YOU LOOK AT REBAR I THINK IT WILL BE OBVIOUS THAT IT IS A
FUNCTIONAL PRODUCT - ONLY!

A lot of rebar is essentially recycled steel... it has to be up to
certain standards depending on where it is used... most residential
rebar used in floor slabs, pools, etc. is a very low grade... rebar used
in commercial construction of massive civil engineering projects, be
they bridges or buildings is usually held to a higher standard!

Because of the questionable heritage of the steel (which even though it
is recycled at times is perfectly suitable for reinforcing applications)
there is probably concern over welding it - if you do not know fer sure
what you are welding you will not know fer sure how to weld it!  I think
this is why you see some negatives as welding the cage...  for
structural reasons the cage is either welded or wired to make sure the
steel is where it is supposed to be within the pour... concrete coming
out of the shoot can have some force to it and a bar slammed by the
falling concrete will of course try to move unless it is restrained.

As to the role of the cage electrically - recommend you research the
archives on this one for all those questions about grounding systems
within or external to the pour, etc. - it has been covered on towertalk
a number of times!

Keep it wet!

K4OJ