[TowerTalk] Antenna Question

Byron Tatum bjtatum at ev1.net
Thu Mar 13 18:36:09 EST 2003

Hello All-
    This is a hearty "Thank You" to all of the nice responses I received
regarding my questions about an all band antenna and the balanced-balanced
antenna tuner. There were so many I thought I would make a reply to the
lists. Several people were so kind as to send article files on the tuners
and descriptions of antennas, pictures of their tuners, etc.
    I am looking at putting up a full wave 160 meter loop as high as
possible { about 50 feet} and feeding it with open wire line in the middle
of one side. I have looked over W4RNL's nice articles on this very antenna
and I believe it should do well for all HF bands.
    Mostly I will be doing low power work with K-2, K-1 and other homebrew
rigs, maybe Drake B-Line at times.
    I am looking at building the antenna tuner remotely controlled, in a
large weatherproof box I have been saving. My thoughts are to have the box
mounted on a support on ground in area under feedpoint, so the run of open
wire line would be fairly short, then coax into house. It is not possible to
have my tuner in the house where the station is.
    Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations I most certainly am open to
all! My thoughts at this time are to use the dual roller inductor tuner as
described in Measures article, however with my lower power levels I believe
I can use some of the surplus roller coils I have salvaged out of Collins
airborne stuff.
    I was curious about lightning protection on this type of system, any
suggestions?
    Thanks to all, Byron WA5THJ.