[TowerTalk] Erecting a 40' Universal tilt base tower

kk9a at arrl.net kk9a at arrl.net
Fri May 16 02:18:41 EDT 2003

I erected a 30' Universal Tower with an antenna on top by walking it up.  I
needed a  lot of help and it was very difficult.   I also had a rope near
the top that someone was pulling on.  It is not as easy as the catalog makes
it appear.   I installed a 60' one with no top weight using a tow truck to
pull it vertical.  I first tried using my SUV, but the pull height was too
low and it was unsuccessful.  I installed my current 70' Universal Tower
using a gin pole and putting up one piece at a time.   If you remove the
antenna and rotor I'm sure you could walk up your 40' tower.  With no guy
wires in the way it's easy to pull up the antenna later and attach it.

73,
John