[TowerTalk] surge supression

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 7 12:04:27 EST 2003

At 02:22 PM 11/7/2003 -0500, Alan Beagley wrote:
>ISTR reading that *all* grounds must be connected together (according to
>the National Electrical Code).

Safety grounds yes, but not signal common point references.  No
requirement, for instance, that the shields of coax that is entirely
indoors be connected to a common ground. No requirement that the shield of
a coax line that is carried within another conductive tube (i.e. conduit)
or where the shield is not being used as a safety grounding conductor be
tied to "green wire ground". I'd have to go check my code, but I think if
you ran an explicit lightning dissipation/grounding conductor along side
the coax, there'd be no requirement that the coax be connected at any point.

In fact, there are situations where the common point power ground (i.e. the
neutral on a Wye connected 3 phase system) can be isolated or connected to
ground through a high impedance (to reduce nuisance trips from ground fault
currents).

There's certainly no requirement that the common RF ground point be
interconnected to the electrical safety ground. The shield of the coax is
just another low voltage conductor.  Now, if the coax shield is serving two
purposes, it's another story.

It all depends on what the function of the "ground" is...
Jim, W6RMK