[TowerTalk] R25 towers

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 10 11:03:43 EST 2003

A call to your local building department will usually get the information
about what sorts of "chemical anchors" they like to see.  Not that you
actually will be getting a permit, or tell them what you're up to (you
could say "patio cover" or something).  In our local area, they actually
have a handout on this sort of thing.  You could also ask at a local
building supply store that sells such things to contractors (they'll stock
the ones that the city/county requires). I don't know that I'd ask at the
local big box store, like Lowe's or Home Depot, since the person you talk
to there may not be all that familiar with local regulatory requirements,
policies, advice.

You could use any old all-thread and any old epoxy, but it doesn't cost
much more to "do it right", and the chemical anchor kit comes with a nifty
thing to squirt the adhesive into the hole, adhesive that is designed to be
squirted into a concrete hole and anchor to a bolt.  The bolt quality will
usually be better, too.  Easier to spin the nuts on, less likely to have a
stress fracture somewhere when the stock clerk bent the all-thread putting
it in the rack, etc. By the way, it's not all epoxy. They use acrylic and
other chemical systems as well. All that good stuff...

Big companies like Hilti, Ramset, Unitex, Simpson Strong-Tie, and so forth
all make these kits, and, by and large, they are available at the big box
stores.

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/ has lots of info..figure out what you need,
and go buy it.

Just for an example, for one of the products, from the charts there, it
looks like 1/2" allthread (A 307 grade C), embedded 4 1/4 or 6 inches is
limited by the allthread strength (3750 lbs). Going to A193, Grade B7
all-thread makes the bond the limit at around 4500lbs (the allowable
capacity of the bolt is 8080 lbs)

Going to bigger bolts and holes ups the strength a LOT.  1" bolts have
allowable loads like 15,000 lbs.

Jim, W6RMK