[TowerTalk] R25 towers

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Nov 10 14:10:11 EST 2003

>http://www.simpsonanchors.com/ has lots of info..figure out what you need,
>and go buy it.
>
>Just for an example, for one of the products, from the charts there, it
>looks like 1/2" allthread (A 307 grade C), embedded 4 1/4 or 6 inches is
>limited by the allthread strength (3750 lbs). Going to A193, Grade B7
>all-thread makes the bond the limit at around 4500lbs (the allowable
>capacity of the bolt is 8080 lbs)
>
>Going to bigger bolts and holes ups the strength a LOT.  1" bolts have
>allowable loads like 15,000 lbs.

I'm no pro at this stuff, but it seems to me there's an important caveat --
if you're going to climb the tower as it goes up, use temporary guys before
you set the permanent ones, because the stresses imposed on those bolts by
a large human on the end of 20-30 feet of Rohn 25, unguyed, could cause
something to bend or break, and it may not be the bolt itself.  This is no
more onerous than using a pier pin mount, which might be another way to go.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29.
2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm