[TowerTalk] follow-up on 4-square conversion

S. J. Blackwell w5lu at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:11:57 EDT 2003

The guy tension needed for keeping the antenna in column decreases as one
goes up. I believe this should be considered. The lower guys are shorter and
can be set up with more tension as the lower portion is larger dia and can
tolerate more compression. The need for low stretch guys is not all that
clear to me as the forces involved are relatively low and stretch is
proportional to the tension. The decreasing diameter of the column also
causes a decreasing wind load.Tension on the upper guys can also be a cause
for failure in compression unless the upper guy anchors are absurdly
distant. In any event it would seem to me that the guy tension should be the
absolute minimum with tension decreasing as one goes up. Also implied is
smaller dia guys as one ascends ergo less sag for a given amount of tension.
  Any guy system will need checking for tension after installation as some
creep will occur regardless. Nylon is a bummer in any event. Kevlar cored
line may be hard to find in the small sizes needed for the upper guys. I
have no idea as to how to save the system from falling tree limbs except
acceptance or removal.
73,
Sam W5LU