[TowerTalk] Dressing coax on TIC Ring Rotors

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Oct 13 18:25:55 EDT 2003

Following a suggestion from W6QHS/W6NL I tried something that worked
quite well for me when I had a TIC ring....

I went to the local truck stop and got one of those long springs they
use to suspend the airlines that go to the trailer brakes...I would
route the coax away above the ring rotor - it could potentially fall
into those teeth so:

I put a caribeaner on the top end and clicked onto a a tower diagonal -
with the antenna in its center North position I made it taught enough to
keep the coax well away from the foreboding coax eating gears...
fortunately the PL259 just passed through the eye at the other end of
the spring so it was black taped to the appropriate spot along the coax.
  When the antenna swung either side of center the spring would stretch
and keep the coax above the gears...

Ultimately decided to fix that antenna on Europe and sidemounted it to
the tower before some friends helped to remove the ring rotor beast...

That spring was there for years and years and retained its spring,
etc... if I remember right it was pretty inexpensive, too - seem to
remember the caribeaner was more expensive than the spring was!

Once again W6QHS was right - his sense of things mechanical is great -
anyone who has not read his book on yagi antenna design is doing
themselves an injustice.

73,

Jim, K4OJ

193 6 29