[TowerTalk] Log periodic vs beam

David Greer davidgreer73 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 11:12:40 EDT 2003

I used a TennaDyne T6 log for a couple years. It
worked very well and I was pleased. But after I moved,
I decided to go with a bigger antenna on a new tower.

After some consideration, I narrowed my choices to
either a TennaDyne T8 or a 3-element SteppIR. Even
though it cost considerably more, I finally decided on
the SteppIR which continuously tunes from about 13.6
to 60 MHz. There's no doubt the SteppIR outperforms
the T6. The T6's numbers made it roughly equivalent to
a 2-element monobander whereas the SteppIR is a full 3
element antenna on each band. Of course, I can't
answer the question of how a T8 8-element log would
play compared to the SteppIR. I'm sure the race would
be closer as compared to the T6. The f/b on the log
was OK but nothing to write home about. The SteppIR
f/b is great -- even considered fantastic on 20 and
17m.

The SteppIR SWR will be lower across the entire tuning
range compared to a log. But the TennaDyne logs are
very weather resilient and we don't know about the
SteppIR antennas since they're so new on the market.

It's a tough choice to make. You really can't lose
either way. My sense is the SteppIR antennas will do
fine in bad weather but only time will tell.

One last thought -- the 180 degree function on the
SteppIR is out of this world. You really have to use
it to fully appreciate it and learn just how handy it
is to be able to rotate the antenna 180 degrees in 2
seconds.
GL, Dave, N4KZ

--- Tom Anderson <ww5l at gte.net> wrote:
> Fellow Tower Talkians
>
> I notice that the new HF beam books by Steve and
> others won't be out for
> a while.  Has anyone have any personal experience
> using both a beam and
> a log periodic?  If so, which one appears the better
> antenna.
>
> I currently have a Mosley Classic 33 WARC with a
> single WARC element for
> 12 and 17, and the 40 meter kit.  Been thinking
> about one of Tennadynes
> Log Periuodics possible the T-8 or T-10 or T-12, but
> am not closed in on
> any one or brand.
>
> Any recommendations and please no flames.
>
> Tom, WW5L

=====
David Greer