[TowerTalk] Question re: mating Rohn sections

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Oct 14 16:53:05 EDT 2003

I tend to agree with this answer - note I am not a PE - and I am
prepared for flames by PE and PE wannabes...

Seems to me like if you were to go with the overshot option and
redrilling of the holes that you essentially would be saying that:

IT IS ONLY DOWNWARD FORCE THAT MATTERS...

-NOT-

Think about this - a sever force from a direction directly opposite one
of the legs "attacks",  The tendency would be for the two legs closer to
the force to act like a hinge location and the far leg would wanna raise
up and separate.

If you had made that hole a little lower on the inner pipe, when the
force reached that leg and it wanted to LIFT UP what would be holding it
back... not much - you drilled those holes just below the original
manufactured ones, right - so just a little piece of metal is left to
keep that force in check?????????

If it were me I would use the original manufacturers original holes....

But then again, I do not have any alphabet soup after my name other than
  my call!

73,

Jim, K4OJ