[TowerTalk] Horizontal loop reconsidered

Gene Bigham jbigham2 at kc.rr.com
Tue Oct 14 13:44:00 EDT 2003

Well after looking at the lay of the land here, I think the horizontal loop is out for 160.  What I am now considering is utilizing my Aluma Tower with 3 element triband beam in a shunt feed arrangement again.  After doing some modeling I think this is the most efficient antenna I can install here simply.  The tower can crank to 50 foot level, but remains nested most of the time at about 35 foot level.  I have some radials under it now extending around the house and to the perimeter of the back yard, there are probably 10 or 12 of these now.
My plan is to get the ladder out and climb up to about the 18 foot level and attach an aluminum tube to the tower, connect a solid gauge copper wire to the aluminum tube about 2-3 foot away from the tower side and drop it to the ground, then hook the feed between the solid gauge wire and the ground rod and radial field termination point at the tower base.  Bring the coax, short run of only 15 feet to the shack and hook to the tuner and use the tuner to resonate it.  If time permits I can do some analyzing with the MFJ and try to make this arrangement resonate on 160 meters to get more efficiency.  If necessary two drops of solid gauge could be made from the same aluminum tube if it were long enough to place each wire 2-3 feet from the tower on opposite sides and make a neo-cage feeder.
Comments, suggestions?
KB0GU looking to get on 160 sometime soon for psk31.