[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Hardware

Mark Beckwith mark at concertart.com
Mon Oct 20 08:56:06 EDT 2003

>FWIW, I demonstrated the hard way that the factory supplied Rohn 25G class
5
>hardware is very adequate, and stronger than the tower legs.  I lost a guy
> wire on a 25G tower and had it fall over.

And I used the same experiment to demonstrate that SS bolts shear.  I still
have the bolts.

The failure point, BTW, was a drop forged eyebolt bolted into a concrete
parapet horizontally, with the guy pulling upward on it (i.e. laterally)
(max angle on the Rohn drawings).  When the tower went down, a few of the SS
bolts sheared.  Note that it was not the SS bolts in the tower joints
shearing that made the tower fall.

Mark, N5OT