[TowerTalk] AB-105 Braces

Doug Rehman rehman at surveil.com
Mon Oct 27 20:25:20 EST 2003

The AB-105 that I inherited from W3AU only has a hand full of horizontal
braces. I would like to put horizontals on the two towers that I'm going to
put up for two reasons: 1) increased strength 2) easier climbing.

>From looking at the military Technical manual, the original horizontal
braces are 12 gauge steel angle (1" x 3/4" x 1/8"). I'm looking for some
guidance on whether aluminum would be an acceptable substitute. If so I have
two questions:

1) What size and thickness should I use
2) Would the aluminum be cheaper than steel (considering the steel would
have to be galvanized/regalvanized after it is cut and drilled)

Thanks,
Doug
K4DDR