[TowerTalk] What is the largest 20mtr monobander you have ever seen?

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Tue Oct 28 10:56:12 EST 2003

   During the 1980s OH8OS built a rotatable stack system on 20m that was truly impressive.  As best as I can recall from a technical
report, the array contained 48 or 64 elements (I can't remember which) on a single, rotatable tower.  At each height there was a
cross-arm that supported two yagis with the elements lined up.  I think the system had 4 heights and 8 yagis with 6 or 8 elements
per yagi.  OH8OS had a custom micro-processor system that would attempt to select the correct phasing arrangement to maximize the
received signal.  Because of the parallel yagis at each level, the beamwidth was relatively narrow -- but appropriate for his QTH
when beaming to North America.

   The system was awesome both mechanically and electrically.  As a 20m operator during W3LPL's early years as a multi-multi
station, I remember many hours listening to OH8OS running USA stations in the middle of the night on 20m... his signal heavily
modulated by auroral flutter... and OH8OS being the ONLY signal on the band.

   Sadly, I heard that an ice storm caused serious damage.  It is difficult to muster the same level of enthusiasm to rebuild as one
has in the initial ground-breaking creation.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA