[TowerTalk] Smart antennas

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 2 15:03:43 EDT 2003

This is an area of great interest to me, both professionally and as an
amateur in a fairly rigidly controlled HOA.  In fact, I think that adaptive
antennae and phased arrays are a reasonably practical way to deal with HF
communications in "tough" environments.

While you're not necessarily going to be able to beat the huge antenna on
the huge tower, an adaptive phased array can do the following:
1) Form nulls on intefering signals
2) Form the main lobe on the signal of interest, and, with sufficient
sophistication, actually coherently combine the skywave from more than one
angle and polarization.
3) Move the pattern in the "blink of an eye"

If you are cursed by geography, nothing's going to help (say your QTH was
at the bottom of a big pit... no amount of gain or Tx power will help you
get sufficient signal out at low angles)

Interestingly, on receive, because you're normally atmospheric and
environmental noise limited, you can tolerate a low gain (in absolute
terms) antenna, as long as you have directivity, which is easy to come by
in a phased array.

On transmit, it's a bit tougher, because you have the 1500W limitation on
transmitted power, and a physically low and small antenna is going to put
more of that power into the dirt or the clouds overhead.  In pretty much
the rest of the radio world the licensing and power limits is in terms of
ERP.  Maybe we should push for the FCC to do the same for hams?  It's not
that different than how RF exposure is handled, or the limits on the 5 MHz
band.  You can either guarantee compliance by an antenna of known gain
(i.e. a dipole) and limited transmit power, or by analysis/measurement of
actual field strength.

In reality, the rule requires use of the least power to communicate, and
from a theoretical standpoint, that's the radiated far field.  If you use a
1000W transmitter and a dipole or a 100W transmitter and a 12 dBi directive
antenna, the field strength is the same.  Philosophically, I should be able
to allocate my resources how I see fit, subject to the radiated power
limit.. If I want to invest in big high gain antennas and small
transmitters or small antennas and big transmitters, that should be my
choice (subject to safety rules, etc.)

Of course, there are those who run big antennas AND big transmitters who
may not agree.

Jim, W6RMK
(http://home.earthlink.net/~w6rmk/antenna/phased/index.htm)