[TowerTalk] Smart antennas

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Sep 2 15:59:00 EDT 2003

Seems like an EIRP scheme would take away incentive
to make ones antenna better. Why put up a 4-square to get
5dB of extra TX gain, when you would have to derate your
transmitter power by that same amount for a zero net gain.
Right now the FCC gives you 1500 joules/second to work
with. You are then free to distribute them across the heavens
any way you see fit (in keeping with safety limits of course).
If you want to spray them all in one direction with a high
gain antenna or distribute them uniformly with a omni, you
are free to do so. Other services have EIRP limits because
they have frequency reuse concerns that we don't have
(except for repeater service where we do have EIRP
constraints).

Sorry, Jim, but I like big transmitters AND big antennas :):)