[TowerTalk] Re: Tower base hole?

James jameswarren at swbell.net
Sat Sep 6 16:12:29 EDT 2003

>> I am looking for some help / suggestions on the
>> best way to dig a 4 by 4 by 8 foot deep hole
>> for my new tower base.  Is the old Armstrong
>> method best or would a backhoe be best??
>> Will a backhoe disturb the earth around the hole??

EIGHT FEET DEEP? I had to dig a six or eight feet on a side by
four feet deep hole for a 100 foot self supported tower (its was
over 20 years ago - so not sure of the exact dimensions or height).

I had to dig it by hand and with a car battery operated auger, but
it was worthless in the cold damp clay. It took me all day to do it.

When I had to do it again a few years later, I rented a backhoe; but
it was to big for the trees so I took it back for a Bobcat with a
small backhoe on it. The Bobcat did a pretty good job at squaring up
the hole without disturbing the surrounding soil.