[TowerTalk] A3S

Gene Bigham jbigham2 at kc.rr.com
Sun Sep 7 10:33:51 EDT 2003

Taking a 10 year old A3S traps apart here is what I found.  I recently took the traps apart on my A3S suspecting them to be wet or fouled with spider, or insect debris, see previous posts.  When inside the traps to my delight I found the coils and their attaching screws covered in what looked like epoxy black paint or high voltage glip.  This is different than the A4S I took apart where the coils had the red varnish on them and the screws exposed to air and were corroded.  Those screws I am told are zinc coated and after a long time they use up their zinc and corrode due to electrolysis I believe.
The point here is these traps on the A3S look like there is better attention to detail than the A4S I have looked at.
At this point, the Van Gordon has got to go!
BTW I sealed only the ends of the traps where the end caps go on. ;-)
de KB0GU