[TowerTalk] Lowering mast on fixed tower

Paul Playford w8aef at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 14 20:38:17 EDT 2003

I have been invited several times to climb steps on the mast to work on
antennas but I get all puckered up on the 1st step and chicken out.  I have
watched others climb these masts but I won't (or can't ?).

So I installed a winch at the top of my LM-470 and a U bolt on the mast just
above the rotator.  I attach the winch cable to the U bolt, take the weight
off the rotator, remove the rotator and then lower the mast inside the tower
to work on the antennas.  If necessary I will remove my 20m yagi from the
mast and temporarily secure it to one side of the tower to lower the mast
and work on the 15m yagi.  When I work on the 10m I loosen the boom to mast
clamp on the 15m and just slide the mast down until I can reach the 10m.
The 20m is too heavy to allow the mast to slide through it's boom to mast
clamp.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A