[TowerTalk] Lowering mast on fixed tower

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Sep 14 22:28:37 EDT 2003

Hi Bob...

Dear Santa - All I want for Christmas is servicing of my HF Christmas Tree!

Stacked yagis are rough...

Unless you have a very very heavy duty mast with multiple thrust
bearings, etc. climbing of the mast with ladder steps is not an option
so, you have to lower it into the tower...

The lower antennas have to either be slid up or removed to get at the
top one... yes, it is a lot of work...

The biggest bummer of this type of installation usually is that the tape
that holds the top feedline to the boom and the mast that will fail over
time and suddenly you have a dangling mess which is, of course, out of
reach...

There was a great article in NCJ an issue or two ago by Robin Midgett
KB4?... he developed a cable and pulley system that allows the  mast to
be lowered and re-raised very smoothly - it is a massive system but
suspect that it is one of those things that you are really glad you have
if you need to use it!

A come along is the usual method of raising and lowering of the mast - a
secure attachment to the mast for a grab point is mandatory - typically
pieces of lumber or angle will be placed across horizontal rungs to
support the weight of the mast and antennas when the mast passes below
the rotor plate...

NOTE: The usual rotor plate does not have a magical 2+ inch hole where
you want it so the mast can easily pass through it during antenna
servicing... of course...

GL

Jim, K4OJ