[TowerTalk] RFI resolution

Dinsterdog at aol.com Dinsterdog at aol.com
Sat Sep 27 12:35:48 EDT 2003

Since you mentioned your antenna, maybe this is a blank check for a towertalk
subject- Can you explain more details about the antenna set up and feedlines
etc????????

First, check everything at the station and I'd suggest an 8 turn 6 inch wide
RF feedline chokes at the rig and at the antenna to keep RF off the feedline.
That has worked for me in the past but its not a magic cure.  We all know how
complicated this whole business of RFI can be-
And............................

We (most of us) have had the neighbor from heyllo that no matter what, will
whine.  In my case, I actually had the whiny neighbor move over my radio. (boo
hoo) after giving up in a failed court case and county attempt to have me stop
transmitting.  This from a 100 watt rig and a ground mounted vertical- Killer
equipment eh?

But it rooted out the neighborhood of an audiophile and peace was once again
restored.  No more neighborhood petition drives to have me torched at the town
center etc.................all kidding aside, it seemed to get that serious
at one point-

 No matter what I did, after waiting two years to be let into his majesty's
house, after two years of dirty looks, my 3 friends and I worked a couple of
days fixing his unshielded wiring throughout the house, a bad phone,
etc.......and he was still not happy.  We tried explaining why running unshielded speaker
wire from your basement to your third story bedroom speakers was not a good
idea but he just didn't care-

To make a long story short, we solved 98% of the RFI, including a subwoofer
that dance to my 80M 100 watt signal.....but the remaining 2% of RFI we could
not figure out, mostly when I was on a small portion of 17M that caused a
slight spatter on his phone, became a 100% again in his tiny little brain.

And that is why a lot of us who have experienced "The Neighbor" get in the
mode of  telling them to read the fine print and visit other area's for covenant
controlled neighborhoods to be happy in life-.

I wish you luck with her.  Realize she can't do much by being a AH compared
to what you can by attempting to help her out.  And in many cases, that's not
going to be good enough with the "You have no right to do this to me" types.
The RFI reflector is good place to go but maybe after working everything in VK,
you can turn the antenna elsewhere and she'll calm down.

Then I'd poison her grape vine and grass and suggest a voo-doo doll from
E-Bay-  God knows she already has bought one for you-  (just kidding).  Buy her
some flowers and please me posted at dinsterdog at aol.com.....I've been there man-

73  Paul  N0AH