[TowerTalk] coating the SteppIR

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Sat Apr 3 18:32:18 EST 2004

I think painting this fiberglass is a bad idea...
given the fact that the mfr has ALREADY provided an
epoxy top layer.

If you paint it, the odds are the tubes won't telescope
properly, should you want to take the antenna down and move it.

If I were in the Carribean, I might be concerned about UV...
and those of you in southern states may feel the same way...
about all I'd do, though, is get more of that tape, and wrap
the whole element with it. That way, it can be removed and
replaced.

N2EA
jimjarvis at ieee.org

PS:  Epoxy vs. Polyurethane?  In my experience with sailboat
companionway splash boards, varnishes, even polyurethane varnish,
won't tolerate UV more than a couple of years.  Boards cleaned and
painted with a couple of coats of thinned epoxy, on the other hand,
seem to be good for longer than I've owned my boats.