[Junk Mail] Re: [TowerTalk] 500' #14 solid THHN, $15 @ Lowe's

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Apr 8 14:41:49 EDT 2004

> At Home Depot, I've never seen it priced this high.  It has
> been as low as $12 and change.  So what you quoted is an
> acceptable price, but no big bargain, despite any so called
> discounts.  A local chain here called Yardbirds has undercut
> even Home Depot by selling it in 2500 foot rolls, which HD
> doesn't carry.
>
> It is also interesting to note that if you buy 14 gauge Romex
> and disassemble it, you can get often get the same wire even
> cheaper (if your time is worth nothing)

I've used the wires out of Romex for antennas a number of times, but never
bothered to strip the instulation.  There is too much chance of nicking the
copper wire.

One drawback to using Romex or other wire used for ... well... wiring, is it
is soft.  Very soft and for 75 and 160 meter antennas the stuff stretches if
you try to pull much of the catenary out of it.  I never had any problems
with inverted Vs, on 75 but dipoles on 75 and anything full size on 160
stretched.  It work hardens after a year or two though.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

> And, curiously, bare wire is much more expensive than either
> of the above.

That's because so little of it is produced.