[TowerTalk] antenna impedence and ground impedence??

Dan Sawyer dansawyer at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 10 21:58:09 EDT 2004

Tom,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, ground resistance.

This antenna is a custom 'screwdriver'. The base is about 4 inch
diameter 1/8 inch wall aluminum tubing. The coil is wound on a 3.5 inch
form of number 12 solid wire, the pitch is about .5. The connection
between the tube and the coil is made from a ring of copper 'fingers'
that make a good contact. The top is a 6 foot 1/8 inch solid steel rod.
Models of this produce between 1.5 and 2 ohms radiation resistance.

That said the feed point resistance consistent measures about 56 Ohms at
the antenna with an Autek RF1. The antenna matchs w/o a tuner at about
1.2 at the end of about 100 feet of RG8. The cable tests clean with a
TDR all the way out.

The objectives are to learn a good approximation what is actually going
on and to optimize the system performance.

Thanks,
Dan Sawyer