[TowerTalk] AEA VIA or CIA?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Apr 12 10:47:32 EDT 2004

Jim,

Before you do anything you better look into this closely and be sure you
know what point of the Smith chart you are starting from.

I'm not going to name names but most analyzers only *guess* at the sign of
reactance, and none of them self-calibrate. None of them have internal
selective receivers, so they are all influenced by external signals.

They are, whether $199.95 or $1999.95, not that much better than each other
for resolution and other problems. You largely are buying an interface
difference, not corrections in basic shortfalls.

That's why I buy, repair, and calibrate new MFJ 259B's. With a few hours
labor I have something better than 1000 dollars would buy, and it doesn't
waste my time by guessing at the sign of reactance. I keep a quarter in my
pocket instead, and it is right half the time.

73 Tom