[TowerTalk] Using riding mower to run radials (2nd Try)

Wendell Wyly - W5FL wendell at wyly.org
Mon Apr 12 20:32:35 EDT 2004

Nope, most large tractors do not have down force on the 3 point, but a few
third world tractors do.  I have a 68 HP Kubota.  Only the weight of the
implement provides the down force.  Same on Ford, John Deere, Massey, etc.
My Gannon Box Blade weighs over 1200 pounds and is 78 inches wide.  It
provides a lot of down force, but it is strictly from gravity.  It is very
complex and expensive to provide down force (other than gravity) to a post
hole digger on a tractor.

The machine that the local utility used to lay my phone line was a vibrating
plow used on a large tractor. They buried the line 24 inches deep in about 2
hours.  The phone line is a little over 3000 feet from the road to the
house.  These are wonderful machines, but they are extremely large for use
around a home.