[TowerTalk] Staples for radials

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 13:39:10 EDT 2004

At 02:28 PM 4/13/2004 -0500, Tim, N9PUZ wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:15:00 -0500, Red wrote:
> > I've also stapled radials into the lawn several times.  At present,
> > I have 66 radials, each 66 feet long extending from a vertical.
> > They required over 400 staples to pin that many radials close to
> > uneven lawn surface.
>
>How would this work for the feed line? I have a Gap vertical I put up
>over the winter. Now that the ground is thawed I need to do something
>about the coax feed into the house. It's presently laying on the
>ground. Opinions and suggestions on whether a similar stapling
>technique would work for the coax? I'm using RG-8X so it's relatively
>thin and flexible.
>
>Tim,  N9PUZ

Coax is a bit more sensitive to being crushed or deformed than a ground
radial. Also, if you happen to break a ground radial with the lawn mower,
it probably won't change your performance much (after all, the wire's still
there, reducing the effective ground resistance in general).  Chop (or
nick) the coax, and it's a different story.

Jim, W6rmk