[TowerTalk] Underground PVC Tubing?

Mike k4gmh at arrl.net
Thu Apr 15 09:58:18 EDT 2004

Hello Rick,

Roger's approach is similar to what I've used for the last seven years.  In
my installation, two boxes are on the outside, one at the house and the
other at the tower base. Each box has a 2 1/2" dia. opening cut in the
bottom and covered by metal screen wire.  The hole allows any moisture that
gets into the 4" PVC pipe to evaporate.   The coax exits the boxes via UHF
feed thrus.

My control cables are 12/2 (with ground) or 14/3 (w/ ground) NM electrical
cable - the stuff you get at Home Depot or Lowes.  The control cables are
terminated at the boxes.  Wire nuts are used to make the connections inside
the box after the outside wires pass through standard plastic electrical
box pass-thrus.  The NM pass thrus I use are yellow plastic and allow two
NM cables to pass thru, but can not be pulled back out.  No bugs can get
inside the boxes using these type of pass thrus.  They were obtained at
Home Depot.

While you are installing the PVC pipe, pull a rope through each piece of
PVC as it is installed so when you are done the pipe you have a pull rope
in place.  Remember to attach a traveler to the pull rope whenever you pull
something through.  You'll have to pull a cable or two at some later date.
The traveler allows you to bring the pull rope back through the pipe.

When pulling additional cable(s), tape the end of the cable and rope
junction so it has a taper and then smear "wire soap" on the junction.  The
tape and taper keeps the cable from snagging on other cables already in the
pipe.

Good luck with your installation Rick.