[TowerTalk] Underground PVC Tubing?

Gene Smar ersmar at comcast.net
Thu Apr 15 11:06:13 EDT 2004

Rich:

     If the choice is between 3 and 4 inch conduit, go with the 4 inch.
Also, as others here have said, use sweeps not elbows for your angle turns.
The sweeps are large radius curves that don't force the coax cables into
tight turns at corners.  I used commercial-grade conduit (
http://www.carlon.com/Home.html ) from my local electrical supplier.

     I'd also recommend you drill a few half-inch holes underneath the
conduit at the low points.  Your conduit runs will not be hermetically
sealed and WILL accumulate moisture/water that must be drained.  I'd further
suggest you dig a small pit underneath the conduit at these holes and fill
said pits with gravel or rocks to act as French drains for this water.
Lastly, cover these conduit holes with landscaping material - the kind that
is used in flower beds to keep down weeds - so varmints can't get in.  I
just wrapped the entire circumference of my conduit run at these holes and
tied the material in place with #14 insulated wire.

     Don't forget to include a pull rope that stays with the cables for use
in pulling the next (inevitable) coax run through the conduits.

73 de
Gene Smar AD3F