[TowerTalk] Tower Stacking - Trylon ST

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 09:45:20 EDT 2004

In a message dated 4/16/04 11:42:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
billaustin at powernet.net writes:

> I'm ready to start stacking my tower.  It's a freestanding 60' Trylon
>  ST.  There are six 10' sections.  We are going to lift the first section
>  into place using a backhoe.  The plan is to then use a gin pole to raise
>  the other 5 sections.  I have a 12' piece of 2" pipe, and a Trylon gin
>  pole kit from w9iix.  I also have one of the Tower Jack pulley's (Tower
>  Block) to go at the base for horizontal pulling.  My big concern is the
>  weight of the sections.  The top section weighs about 120lbs and the
>  bottom comes in around 240lbs.

    First, the Tower Block isn't going to fit on your Trylon legs - they're
60 degree angle as opposed to the round-legged design that the TB is designed
for.

    All you have to do (after making sure your ginpole is lashed to the tower
leg) is to use a double-block arrangement. You have the rope tied to the top
of the ginpole, it goes down to a pulley where the load is attached, the rope
goes up to another pulley at the top of the ginpole, and then down to the
ground. This is a block-and-tackle arrangement that'll give you a 2:1 mechanical
advantage.

    Good luck! The last time we erected a Trylon like this, we put up 56 feet
in about 3 hours.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH -