[TowerTalk] Re: [Amps] Relays for RF switching

Geoff geoffrey at jeremy.mv.com
Sat Apr 17 09:42:34 EDT 2004

I believe the key to handling QRO is in the construction of the relay.

Contacts are often just staked to the arms, this makes for poor RF
contact. A bit of silver solder works well, probably regular solder is
OK also.

The arms are often made of stainless; I have no idea what alloys are
used but these will heat at RF, increasing as the frequency goes up.

The flexible leads to the solder terminals are often not copper and are
spot welded to the stainless arm. I replace with very flexible RG-141
braid.

Soldering to stainless requires an acid flux. You can use plumbers
tinning fluid, dilute hydrochloric acid or diluted muriatic acid which
already is 40% diluted hydrochloric. Very, very little acid is needed,
just a tiny drop off a toothpick works fine.

I have used bargain 10-12A rated relays up thru 2M and 1500W for many
trouble free years once I isolated the problem areas.

Geoff